This past year has been quite eventful, starting with a new job, purchasing a new car, and turning three decades old, I thought about making an effort to reflect on all things good in life including the great events in my neighborhood, interesting news relating to social work and education, and keeping a watchful eye on my spending and eating. Forget the years of mindless acting, lack of planning, and eating to my hearts delight. I am thirty and its time to get it together.
I feel like a cliché saying this but its true, I am at my fattest, I have huge debt, and my love prospects are more like a dying desert field full of tumbleweeds flowing in the wind. So instead of whining I've decided that I will take action and try something different.
Finances: Growing up I was always amazed at my mother's talent to make so much with such little income. She earned less than (income combined with child support payments) $30,000 a year and yet she was able to ensure that my sister and I lived well and comfortably. The wonders of layaway payments, careful spending, and creative cooking were always a source of admiration for my mother. Now why the hell didn't I adopt those traits! Three words: Credit cards, Entitlement. I felt entitled to access certain experiences (trips, delicious restaurant outings, fast food eating, shopping) which lead me to mindlessly spent on my credit cards. End result: I have over $5,000 in debt. I don't even want to think about my education loans so lets just make pretend those are covered. By the end of this year I would like to secure some financial goals as advised by those financial guru's out there to secure at least 3 months of savings, decrease credit card debt to ZERO!, and establish my retirement plan. Of course these goals are not ambitious at all.... :/
Health: Yes people, I am overweight thanks to my love for all things Dunkin, McDonald's, and the delicious food of Washington heights, Colombian bakeries, and NYC restaurant scene. Result; I have high blood pressure, I am experiencing some weird throat issues, and I am having a hard time running. By the end of this year I would love to: reduce my high blood pressure to normal levels without the use of medication, get back to my normal BMI range, and return to running at least 10K's comfortably. Did I mention I have a bag full of bunuelos in my fridge (Damn Colombian bakeries!)...
Love life: Ahhhh, this is the hardest area. I've tried online dating but I have to admit. I have not taken it seriously. I find chatting with people online a chore, an added pain in my neck, its my least favorite activity, and it makes me realize how finding a partner is a true full time job. Perhaps its time to truly take it seriously, and find the joy in dating. So this year I hope to try new approaches: attend more networking events, hang out more with friends, and develop new interests that exposes me to a larger group of people. SOOOO I will start next weekend because I have a list of Netflix shows I need to watch...
Of course this is not the whole scope of what can create a fulfilling life, perhaps my approach is wrong and I should start with building a spiritual life, and participating in community... but I need to start with some basics before tackling it all....
Soo now it's time for some research.... my next post will include a summary of what bloggers or financial gurus advise that I do, as a 30 year old, to move towards my financial goals.
No comments:
Post a Comment